Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Why and Why and Why - Those Easy Questions Children Ask

A few weeks ago at our children's Bible study one of our sweet kids asked, "How did sin happen?" Specifically, this ten year old wanted to know how did Lucifer go from being the most beautiful angel in heaven, to being the founder of sin and evil. There were three adults around the table and ten children. What followed was a great discussion.

We came to this conclusion. Lucifer wanted to be the boss. He didn't like that God was more important than him. He then convinced a lot of other angels that life would be more fun if they were also more important than God. If they could be the boss too.

Fast forward millennia later and we see the same thing playing out all around us. It is the reason for most of our pain and suffering. I want to be the boss of my husband. He wants to be the boss of me. All manner of trouble and pain follows. Brothers want to be the boss of sisters and sisters want to be the boss of brothers. And so it goes.

Take this to a global level and war and genocide follow. It isn't complicated, but it is tragic and millions of men and women and boys and girls live daily in pain and suffering.

Letting go of the desire to be in control is not easy. In Christian speak we call this letting go "dying to self." It is choosing to put my desires in the backseat and my husband’s and my children’s and my neighbor's in the front seat. It is saying I love you more than I love myself.

It isn't complicated but neither is it easy.

Rightly ordered love is the secret to a holy and fulfilling life. St. Augustine

When we genuinely love God with all of our hearts, all of our souls, all of our minds, and all of our strength, this sacred love will transform our speech, convert our actions, and inspire our worship. Scott McKnight, The Jesus Creed

No comments:

Post a Comment